Thursday, December 31, 2015

Having Words


In October, I had a show at Cafe 1923 in Hamtramck of some work that's kind of out of my usual illustration-y wheelhouse. Over the 2014 holidays, I cranked out a bunch of the text-based panels, all done somewhat spontaneously, sloppy-punk-zine style, something I could work on while I watched movies on Netflix. The text comes from miscellaneous thoughts, comments, brainfarts, and disembodied punchlines I'd jotted down in my notebooks over the months. I had no idea at first whether they were "art" or anything I wanted to display, but the reception to them has been really great! Here are some samples from the exhibit, several of which now have new homes with a few of my fans. (Note: Each square in the tiles is 1"x1", to give you a sense of scale.)
















No comments: