Thursday, January 22, 2015

Judith Again...

Sorry if you've seen this before, old-timers, but I'm reposting my "Judith" silkscreened mini-comic so it'll be easier to scroll thru when I link to it on Facebook for the "5 Day Art Challenge" meme that's going around. It'll be nicer this time, easier to read, trust me.














For the uninitiated, here's what I said in '06 when I first posted this:

"I first created this mini-comic version of the story of the apocryphal/Biblical heroine Judith a few years ago using the Print Gocco screenprinter. I printed 150 copies or so and hand-stitched the binding.

Judith was a favorite subject of 17th century painter Artemisia Gentileschi, whose Judiths, unlike those of her male contemporaries, actually looked capable of and predisposed to sawing a man's head off his shoulders. One of Artemisia's masterpieces is here in the Detroit Institute of Arts, a suspensful post-beheading Judith scene."

1 comment:

J. Kevin Carrier said...

No need to apologize for the repost -- the more people see this, the better, because it's brilliant.