Tuesday, July 15, 2014

At the movies

death race_metrotimes_by sean bieri
"Death Race (2008)" vs. "Death Race 2000 (1975)"

When I was at Metro Times, I started up a practice of using drawings, rather than publicity photos, to illustrate the lead movie review. I drew a lot of them myself, and many were contributed by a few other illustrators. Bad movies were usually better subjects than good ones - I could poke fun at the dogs - but it was also cool to try to boil a great film down to its essence in a quick sketch. Some of mine weren't that great, but here are a few that I still like.

air guitar nation_metrotimes_by sean bieri
"Air Guitar Nation" (2006)

omen_metrotimes_by sean bieri
"The Omen" (2006)

high noon_metrotimes_by sean bieri
"High Noon" (1952)

kinsey_metrotimes_by sean bieri
"Kinsey" (2004)

rocky balboa_metrotimes_by sean bieri
"Rocky Balboa" (2006)

pandora's box_metrotimes_by sean bieri
"Pandora's Box" (1929)

dr. strangelove_metrotimes_by sean bieri
"Dr. Strangelove" (1964)

2 comments:

Ivey Chanter said...

Hey Sean,

I was digging through some old mini-comics I collected as a kid and started googling the creators. Can you guess what brought me here? That's right the Defenders of the Detroit Cass Corridor, Cool Jerk & HomoGal!

Just wanted to say I loved those books as a kid and your art has really progressed. You recent stuff looks amazing! Cheers

-Ivey

Sean Bieri said...

How cool! Glad you found the blog, Ivey, and that you still have fond memories of those old mini-comix. Detroit's changed so much since then, only the old timers call it the Cass Corridor anymore - it's "Midtown" now, and full of fancy boutiques and eateries. CJ&HG might not recognize it anymore!