Saturday, June 01, 2013

Sparkly Devil


A friend and colleague from my alt-weekly newspaper days, Sarah "Sparkly Devil" Klein, died last weekend in a car crash, and her death has had me in a melancholy and contemplative mood all week. Others who were closer to her can eulogize her better than me, but I will say that some of the funnest illustrations I did for the paper accompanied her stories. She was also instrumental in getting the Detroit chapter of Dr. Sketchy off the ground, modeling for our first session and putting me in touch with other burlesque performers, and I'm grateful for that. Here are a few illustrations I did for her stories and columns (on suburbans Satan worshippers, organ thieves, born-again Christians bikers, and wolf whistlers), and here's a link to that first Dr. Sketchy session, with some really nice photos by Chris Schneider.






No comments: