Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Sacred and Profane


So the bad news is, my hours got cut at my day job recently. The good news is that almost immediately after I was swamped with a rush of paying freelance illustration projects, something I was hoping to do more of anyway! Here are a couple of recent jobs, both with religious (or pseudo-religious) themes.

First (above) is the cover for a satirical novel by my old pal Tom Lucas called "Leather to the Corinthians," which features, among much else, a post-apocalyptic battle between fast food mascot-inspired leaders. I'd explain, but I wouldn't do it justice, you'll just have to read it yourself when it comes out!


The other is a cover for an upcoming issue of Aaron Trudgeon's ongoing Gospel comic book series, illustrated by long-time self-published cartoonist Larry Blake. Aaron was nice enough to give me a lot of latitude on the art. I've always wanted to draw an Annunciation scene, and I'm pretty sure that's an accurate depiction of H-E-Double-Hockeysticks on the bottom there.

I know I shouldn't mix church and state, but besides those covers, I was hired to draw a number of cartoons up on the website of Politipets USA, which offers partisan pet accessories that'll let everyone at the dog park know how your pooch will be voting in November. Be sure to scroll thru all five of the cartoons, and maybe order a leash or two.

No comments: