Skip to main content

Lookit me, I'm a real arteest!



Somehow I find myself involved in not one but two real-life gallery shows right now. (This is unusual for me, most of what I do is for reproduction rather than wall-hanging.)

First is the Actual Size show, at the Contemporary Art Institute of Detroit, a show in which all pieces must be the same size - 8 1/2 x 11". I entered a modified version of my Morton's Girl/Judith image under the title "She Reigns (Judith)" that seems to be getting good reactions from gallery visitors.

The other exhibit is actually a benefit auction for the exhibition program at Paint Creek Center for the Arts in Rochester, Michigan. All the participants were given blank CDs and jewel cases to do with as they pleased. Some went as far as dismantling them completely into abstract sculptures, but I decided to keep mine functional. The idea is to make a mix disc of "guilty pleasures" - your most embarrassing favorite songs - and share the disc with a friend. I put together a sort of homemade "eco-pack" to hold the disc. That's the cover image up top there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You gotta have he(art)

A very smart person at the DIA decided to hand out foam cut-out hearts to visitors for the Valentine's Day weekend, with the idea that you could lay the heart in front of your most beloved artwork. Well, I'm too much in love with too many items in the DIA's collection to choose just one, so I snapped some semi-selfies of me giving my heart to just a few of my favorites.

"For me?" (Karl Schmidt-Rotluff, "Evening By The Sea")
"What the Heckel I do if you won't be my Valentine?" (self portrait woodcut by Erich Heckel)
"I've lost my head over you, Valentine!" ("Judith and Maidservant with the Head of Holofernes," by Artemisia Gentileschi)
No jokes - I'm pretty sure I've touched the little sculpture "Donkey" by Renee Sintenis  every time I've visited the museum since I was in grade school. Love...
Heart Attack I (Central American warrior figure [need to find the info on this guy...])
Heart Attack II …

Somewhere in Time

...on page 58, actually, of the August 29, 2016 issue of Time magazine. That's where there's a small photo of the Little Library I painted, the one in front of the Hatch Art gallery! So that's a first.


Beside myself

Two recent selfies. I leave it to you to decide if I look like Bryan Cranston or Chuck Norris (as has been suggested...)