Saturday, April 01, 2006

Print Gocco


This is one of several prints I've made with my wonderful little Print Gocco. The Gocco is this shoebox-sized Japanese gizmo that's designed to make miniature screenprints, using a thermal process to burn the screens from photocopies. It's handy and lots of fun to use, and apparently going extinct, at least in the US, much to my chagrin. I wrote a short article about its demise for the Detroit free paper, Metro Times, and you can get more info at the Save Gocco site

I've been in love with the Gocco and have evangelized on its behalf for years now, and everyone who touches one seems to fall in love with it too, especially DIY craftsy-types and mini-comics makers. In a desert of electronic reproduction and graphic design processes, the Gocco is an oasis of old-fashioned hands-on art making. If the supplies for the thing dry up and it becomes impossible to use, it's really going to be a sad thing. I'll post more of my Gocco images in coming days.

No comments: