Friday, April 07, 2006

The Book of Judith














I first created this mini-comic version of the story of the apocryphal/Biblical heroine Judith a few years ago using the Print Gocco screenprinter. I printed 150 copies or so and hand-stitched the binding.

Judith was a favorite subject of 17th century painter Artemisia Gentileschi, whose Judiths, unlike those of her male contemporaries, actually looked capable of and predisposed to sawing a man's head off his shoulders. One of Artemisia's masterpieces is here in the Detroit Institute of Arts, a suspensful post-beheading Judith scene.

7 comments:

J. Kevin Carrier said...

This is, hands down, my favorite thing you've ever done. The color, layout, the terse narration... everything is just pitch-perfect.

Janer said...

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

You're finally amongst the land of the bloggers! GO SEAN GO!

I will probably do a driveby on MCCC this year and not have a table. See you and Soph there if not earlier!

Lea said...

I'm glad you post Judith, as I've never seen it. Awesome work!

And yay, a Sean blog!

Lea said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Fabbo stuff, Sean. very different from your previous attempts at Judith. Are you going to show any of the other Judith strips?

-lbw

Steve Whitaker said...

truly scrumptious

As someone who has long-standing unfinished projects of my own I take great comfort from the fact that its taken you a number of years to distill your Judith project down to this wonderful piece. I know you were working on the idea when we last met in London which must be about 8 or 9 years ago now.

brilliant!

Sean Bieri said...

Thanks for that comment Steve - distilling is just what I was trying to do with the story and my thoughts about it. As for posting the old sketches, Lee... hm, first I'll have to dig them up, they're in a sketchbook around here somewhere.

Now if I could just finish some version of the "Lysistrata" project I've been puttering with for eons...